Sorry for my late reply. I first had to go to the ER to get treatment for that terrible burn ;)

Anyway, thanks for the analysis. Unlike Xtriage, SFCHECK actually did indicate potential twinning and indeed when you treat the data as such, REFMAC reproduces the reported R-factors. At the same time REFMAC warns for potential symmetry problems:

//
    ****                Filtering out small twin domains, step 1                ****

 Twin operators with Rmerge >    0.44000000      will be removed

Symmetry operator -K, -H, -L : R_merge =0.445: Twin is unlikely
Symmetry operator  K,  H, -L : R_merge =0.464: Twin is unlikely
Symmetry operator -H, -K,  L : R_merge =0.019: twin or higher symmetry

    ****                Filtering out small twin domains, step 2                ****

 Twin domains with fraction <   7.00000003E-02  are removed

    ****              Twin operators with estimated twin fractions              ****

Twin operator:  H,  K,  L: Fraction = 0.500; Equivalent operators:  K, -H-K,  L; -H-K,  H,  L
Twin operator: -H, -K,  L: Fraction = 0.500; Equivalent operators: -K,  H+K,  L;  H+K, -H,  L
//
So there was a warning that something was wrong, but it is easily overlooked. I guess in PDB_REDO we should forward such warnings more clearly to the user. Of course, there were enough other red flags. The WHAT_CHECK Z-scores were off the chart (literally in our boxplots). At the same time the R-factors were high, but not outliers, which is suspicious for a model of this quality.

Anyway, even though the allure of twin treatment and the resulting R-factors helped the depositors to delude themselves, the problem should have been intercepted in refereeing/editing. Lots of things went wrong here and the discussion on Gerard's very good catch gave an educational post-mortem analysis. Let's hope that this type of discussion is not needed again soon.

Cheers,
Robbie

P.S. I wonder what Zanuda says about this dataset.

I'd be interested to see what Zanuda does with this dataset.