For those expressing in saccharomyces cerevisiae (and presumably other yeasts as well), alcohol dehydrogenase 1 (ADH1) is one. We obtained nicely diffracting Zn-containing crystals of it while pursuing a metal transporter, even though ADH1 is a soluble protein.......[😭]

bert

________________________________
From: CCP4 bulletin board <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Marcin Wojdyr <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 04 September 2016 17:04
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Another pifall of MR

On Sun, Sep 04, 2016 at 03:50:05PM +0300, Stefan Arold wrote:
> https://strube.cbrc.kaust.edu.sa/contaminer/
> It screens currently the 53 most frequent contaminants, including MBP,
> carbonic anhydrase and ferritin.

Thanks for making your list available.

> please let us know if we missed out
> your favourite contaminant.

(and cc me, please)

The idea of checking for contaminants in pipelines has been returning
from time to time here in CCP4 and DLS (it must be the same in
other places), but the first barrier used to be that there is no ready
to use list of contaminants. A month ago we discussed it again in CCP4,
because such a list was recently published (E. Niedzialkowska et al,
Protein Science, 25, 720).

So we planned adding a check for contaminants to a couple of
pipelines, including the one that David wrote about in this thread.
The developers of that project plan to do what BR suggested
- first search for most prominent contaminants.

Due to the holiday season we haven't moved far yet. We copied the list
from Niedzialkowska's paper, added two entries (OmpF and GROEL)
suggested by DLS scientists and 5JK4 which is Ronan's favourite:

https://github.com/ccp4/dimple/wiki/Crystallization-Contaminants

We're yet to cross-check it with other sources, such as:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ccp4bb;7fe15483.1006
and we can only repeat the request that Stefan made - please let us know
what entries are missing.

Marcin