Yes, Robert, true, but remember Ireland is doing so from within the EU! The 13 billion penalty would be paid to the Irish government, which body has now determined to appeal against it.

On 2 September 2016 at 16:24, Hampson, R <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Once we escape from this ruling from Brussels, the UK will be well-placed for just such deals.

Robert

From: British & Irish poets [mailto:BRITISH-IRISH-POETS@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of David Bircumshaw
Sent: 01 September 2016 19:44
To: [log in to unmask]AC.UK
Subject: To speak out

Much as I value Kent's descriptions of the poetry scene across the water I'd rather desperately try to focus attention on some matters that didn't happen among the thin-skinned seekers in these islands but reverberated all round.

One is the EU judgement on Apple for 13 billion back taxes that is being challenged not only by US giant but by its willing hosts the Irish Republic. The same state that had to have a bail out approximating 70 billion euros from the IMF and the EU to cover its failed banks and also an interest free loan of £7 billion from the UK. Yet heroically continues to defend the right of US corporations to pay almost no tax even when almost broke itself. It is even backing the appeal.

What a nation. I'm so glad Irish poets have rose up in condemnation, well maybe Derek Mahon and Muldoon have spoke out.

I can see why Heaney was proud of the colour of his passport.

Anyone would think the Republic was a US tax scam

--
David Joseph Bircumshaw

The Animal Subsides http://www.arrowheadpress.co.uk/books/animal.html
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/david.bircumshaw