Hi John

I think you final point “well formatted PDFs are often fine with most screen readers” is key. If a PDF file has been created appropriately so that is easy to navigate and content has been tagged correctly then it is accessible. But badly created PDFs are so common. Just try copying some text out of a few PDFs and you’ll find spaces missing between words (makes TTS unintelligible) and don’t get me on to fancy PDFs where content is only visible if you hover over if with a mouse….

So I would say that PDF on their own are only ok if they are correctly formatted for accessibility. Otherwise alternative formats should be made available if possible. A fall back for documents where alternative formats are not available (e.g. journal articles)  would be to provide clear signposting to tools for users to convert them themselves (eg. Cloud-based OCR tools like SensusAccess and Claro).

Best wishes

Abi James

Dr Abi James
Research Fellow