Dear colleagues,

Thanks for your invitation. I joined the group over the summer but I didn’t have the chance to introduce myself:

My name is Mari-Cruz García and I work as assessment and feedback advisor at the University of Edinburgh. However, I joined the group because, outside my work, I am undertaking a qualitative research on the perceptions that teachers of special education in Nicaragua have of tecnologías de la información y las comunicaciones (equivalent roughly to ICT) and  assistive technologies.

In Nicaragua, the Government of the Frente Sandinista de Liberación Nacional is undertaking a magnificent word making education a right for all its citizens, abolishing matriculation fees for primary and secondary education, and investing in an inclusive model that is trying to reach learners with disabilities, indigenous communities of the Atlantic Coast and children from the most deprive backgrounds. Maybe our beloved British Government could learn how a Government with limited means can invest on  the education system, rather than renewal of Trident J.

The main challenges for inclusive education in Nicaragua are the high illiteracy rates for people with disabilities (44% of the people with disabilities aged between 17 and 34 were illerated in 2009) and the low retention rates, as the average school rates for learners with disabilities in 4.3 years. Architectural barriers are also an issue, as advocacy organisations and the government are trying to make all public schools accessible by 2016. The use of assistive technologies is also limited, since the main challenges are the architectural barriers and adapting the curriculum and pedagogical materials.

I would be interested in knowing if any of the group members is embarked in a similar study or project in Latino América.

Best regards,

Mari Cruz