Dear all

I received an email from Thea Randall last Friday to say that Freddy Stitt (former county archivist for Staffordshire) had died on Thursday after a brief illness. Freddy was 93 and lived in Little Haywood near Stafford.

Freddy Stitt was County Archivist for Staffordshire and Librarian for the William Salt Library from 1957 – 1985. During his time with the service he was responsible for overseeing the establishment of Lichfield Record Office, building of Staffordshire Record Office and getting in many of the large estate collections and other archives which form the backbone of our designated collections.

He also managed the County Museum Service for a time. He was the last Librarian to live in at the William Salt Library along with his wife and children. Some of our long standing users still recall the wonderful smell of bread drifting through to the reading room of the William Salt Library as his wife was baking.

Freddy Stitt left us an amazing legacy in Staffordshire and he was a true pioneer of the profession. I was privileged to meet Freddy at Thea’s retirement do in 2011 and enjoyed hearing about his experiences at Staffordshire.

The funeral is likely to be next week.  I will let you know the details when I receive them.

Joanna

Joanna Terry
Head of Archives and Heritage
Staffordshire County Council
Staffordshire Record Office
Eastgate Street, Stafford, ST16 2LZ
Tel: 01785 278370

Website: www.staffordshire.gov.uk/archives

Online Catalogue: www.archives.staffordshire.gov.uk

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/StaffordshireArchivesandHeritage

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/@ArchandHeritage

Staffordshire County Council

A Connected Staffordshire where everyone can prosper and be healthy and happy

For more information about the county council visit our website: www.staffordshire.gov.uk

Sign up now to My Staffordshire eXtra for the latest news, interviews and stories about what matters to you in your local area

Follow the county council on Twitter

Disclaimer

This e-mail (including any attachments) is only for the person or organisation it is addressed to. If you are not the intended recipient you must let me know immediately and then delete this e-mail. If you use this e-mail without permission, or if you allow anyone else to see, copy or distribute the e-mail, or if you do, or don't do something because you have read this e-mail, you may be breaking the law.

Liability cannot be accepted for any loss or damage arising from this e-mail (or any attachments) or from incompatible scripts or any virus transmitted.

E-mails and attachments sent to or received from staff and elected Members may be monitored and read and the right is reserved to reject or return or delete any which are considered to be inappropriate or unsuitable.

Do you really need to print this email? It will use paper, add to your waste disposal costs and harm the environment.