(sent on behalf of Jiayi Liu, Secretary of the Edinburgh local group of the
Royal Statistical Society)

Edinburgh Local RSS event

Venue: ICMS
Address: 15 South College Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9AA
Date and time: Thursday 22nd Sep
Tea & coffee available from 17:30pm; talk between 18:00-19:00.

Speaker: Prof. Didier Sornette, ETH Zürich, Chair of Enterpreneurial Risks
Title: "Dragon-kings: extreme risk events, prediction and control"

Abstract: In many complex systems, large events are believed to follow
power-law, scale-free probability distributions so that the extreme,
catastrophic events are unpredictable. In the last decade, I have
spearheaded the concept of “dragon-kings’’, these outliers of large
sizes and unique origins [1,2]. Our research has shown that most
extreme events in fact do not belong to a scale-free distribution.
Called dragon-kings, these events are outliers that possess distinct
formation mechanisms. Such specific underlying mechanisms open the
possibility that dragon-kings can be forecasted, allowing for
suppression and control [3]. For certain dynamical systems, it is
possible to illustrate the statistical evidence and predictability of
dragon-kings.

The approach can be generalised to obtain a conceptual framework to
quantify, model and predict crises in out-of-equilibrium open
heterogeneous dynamical systems (ie almost all systems of interest)
based on a synthesis of the theory of the renormalization group in
statistical physics and bifurcation theory in mathematics combined
with systematic empirical data analyses. We have recently reviewed the
state of the art and some recent progress on the best statistics to
detect the dragon-kings in sparse data (the outlier detection problem)
[4]. The obtained insights have important implications to address the
challenges facing mankind, including finance induced instabilities in
worldwide economies, debt instability, cyber-risks [5], industrial and
nuclear risks [6], epidemics of obesity and chronic diseases, aging
and financial retirement liabilities, the energy challenges, the water
problem, the soil erosion run- away, the on-going sixth largest
biological extinction, extreme industrial disasters, coupled with
geopolitical risks, the problem of the stability of societies that
need to steer responsible management of our complex industrial
systems. We propose a novel quadrant formulation of risk management
along the dimensions of stressor severity and level of predictability
[7], in which the dragon-king regime plays a prominent role.

Registration

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSchLvTdjw97XWMv2fEHkkDTY9NPwDvaqB58IilUuVySAWYt3A/viewform

This is a free event open to everyone. Your registration would be
useful for the organisers to know how many people are likely to
attend, so please complete the registration below. Thanks!

Many thanks,

Jiayi Liu

Secretary of the Edinburgh local group of the Royal Statistical
Society

http://www.bioss.ac.uk/rsse/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

SIGNOFF allstat