Hi All,

I would recommend:
'toilet' + image (for greatest clarity, particularly across language barriers)
'toilet for all genders' (if you want to show understanding of the issues for trans staff and students, particularly those with non-binary genders)
'unisex toilet' or 'toilet for everyone' (for similar, but more subtle, reasons as 'toilet for all genders')

One of the problems with using 'gender neutral toilet' is that because the terminology is linked, for many, to trans activism in the area of toilet access, it to some extent sets the toilet aside as being a special toilet, only meant for a particular group. This can serve to further set apart trans staff and students as different, as well as 'outing' trans staff and students who use that toilet (because the rest of the university community see it as only for trans people). While obviously 'gender neutral' doesn't actually mean that the toilet can only be used by trans people, this has been the experience/view of individuals in a number of institutions I've worked with.

It is additionally worth considering whether this signage is being applied to single-stall contained units (with sinks and sanitary disposal, etc), or to a converted set of toilets in a room with shared sinks etc. In the latter case, I have seen 'toilets with urinals' and 'toilets without urinals' for adjacent doors used, and this could in fact have read 'toilets for all genders with urinals' and 'toilets for all genders without urinals' - this signage gives those entering the room a sense of what the environment will be, as well as allowing people to chose the room in which they believe they will most quickly be able to use the toilet!

Best wishes,

Harri

Equality and Diversity Consultant
https://www.linkedin.com/in/harri-weeks