From: Variationist List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kuha, Mai
Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2016 3:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Is our starting point anger or compassion?

Hello everyone,

I hope your summer is unfolding wonderfully!

At a meditation retreat I attended this past week, the observation came up that often people who work hard on helping others are ultimately motivated by anger, rather than compassion. I would like to understand how this applies to our lives as sociolinguists. Many of us want to address social injustice in our work, or at least situate our work with respect to it. Is our motivation more about indignation over the discrimination speakers of nonstandard varieties or minority languages experience, or is it more about positive feelings towards those communities of speakers? How, if at all, might our motivation shape our teaching and research?

I'm not sure whether this topic is relevant enough to VAR-L or not, but we could take the discussion off-list, if anyone is interested in discussing.

Mai

--
Mai Kuha
Department of English