Dear ML,

If you apply a standard ROI set on images which are all in register in MNI space, all your subjects will have exactly the same regional volume and you will be none the wiser.

Two crude fixes around it:
- multiply with their GM contribution, as for example in Edison P et al. 2007 for PET
- back-normalise your ROI set to individual space via the parameters derived from the spatial normalisation, e.g. Hammers A et al. 2002

However, it would be better to segment the individual MRIs in native space (see Heckemann RA et al. Neuroimage 2006). You can do this with multiple individual atlases (e.g. Hammers A, Allom R et al. 2003, Gousias IS et al. 2008 - atlases available via www.brain-development.org) and individual registrations; given the patients have epilepsy and therefore likely some abnormal anatomy (e.g. Hammers A et al. 2007) it would probably be best to account for this via e.g. MAPER (Heckemann RA et al. Neuroimage 2010).

Hope this helps!

All the best,

Alexander

Alexander Hammers, MD PhD

Professor (Honorary Consultant) of Imaging and Neuroscience
Head of PET Imaging Centre
Division of Imaging Sciences and Biomedical Engineering
King's College London
St Thomas' Hospital, London

Telephone +44-(0)20 7188 8364 (PA Viviane Schroeder)
Email [log in to unmask]