Dear colleagues,

we calculated a PPI (using the gPPI tool). We were interested in differential connectivity between two conditions for two seed regions
(one seed region was located in the left hemisphere, one region in the right hemisphere (the homologous region)).

On the second level, we built a flexible factorial design with 4 within-subject conditions (seed1, condition1; seed1, condition2; seed2,
condition1; seed2, condition2). We used this approach because it enabled us not only to look at the results for both seeds seperately, but also to also investigate whether both seeds had a common connectivity pattern. Contrasts of interest were e.g. the differences in connectivity for seed 1, for seed 2, or the conjunction of both.

We, however, also looked at the main effect of seed. Here we found increased connectivity to the ventricles for one seed region compared to the other region (see attachment). I am not really interested in this contrast  but I am interested in the explanation. When you look at the "effect of interest contrast"(see attachment), you can see that the regions are inversely correlated to the ventricles. Our results show, in my opinion, that the two regions have different noise components. Why is that? Or do you have another explanation?

Best wishes, Andreas
--
Prof. Dr. Andreas Jansen
Laboratory for Multimodal Neuroimaging (LMN)