I have to disagree with Alan on the reasonable approximation!

Among the three methods of segment analysis, only the angular method can achieve almost same results as axial lines. However, the three segment representations are essentially geometry based rather than topology based. By topology, I mean it enables us to see the underlying scaling property of far more less connected than well connected; see this paper (the second paragraph in particular):

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/305638074_A_Topological_Representation_for_Taking_Cities_as_a_Coherent_Whole

Someone may argue that segments are better than axial lines, because metrics are assigned into individual segments rather than axial lines, so fine resolution. This sounds a right argument, but I cannot stand by. To setup segment-segment relationship, it must be done through axial lines (this is the reason why angular method can obtain the reasonable results). This idea was implemented in our point-based space syntax:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/220605896_Integration_of_Space_Syntax_into_GIS_New_Perspectives_for_Urban_Morphology

Later on we further extended the idea into natural streets; see this paper (Section 4.3 in particular):

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/1918773_Self-organized_Natural_Roads_for_Predicting_Traffic_Flow_A_Sensitivity_Study

In summary, natural streets representation is better than axial lines representation, although both are topology oriented. There is little doubt that natural streets predict traffic far better than axial lines; see evidence in the studies cited above. Recently, we used millions tweets locations in London as a surrogate of traffic, and get the same results as in the above studies; R square between metric and tweets locations up to 0.55 for natural streets, but only less than 0.2 for both axial lines and axial lines' segments. We are thinking of whether write a paper. It seems unnecessary, since the results are the same as before.

Thanks and cheers.

Bin