While moral relativism is in some ways comparable to historical relativism, there are important differences. Burning someone alive for heresy was an abhorrent practice, but we can hardly campaign against a practice that stopped centuries ago,  while a practice such as female genital mutilation (which some claim is ‘cultural’ and so should be allowed, and indeed is happening in this country) is clearly abhorrent and needs to be exposed and campaigned against. The misogyny of which it is, I presume, a manifestation is maybe more difficult to handle.
In an historical rather than cross-cultural context saying that the writings of a medieval man (such as the early Middle English work extolling the virtues of virginity Hali Maidenhead) are misogynistic, since they assume the subordinate and compliant role of the woman, is a ’so-what’ comment. Misogyny was the default position of society. The interesting question would be: is this more or less misogynistic than any other writing of the period? How is the misogyny constructed and is that in anyway unusual or interesting? How does it present female virginity and is that in any way empowering? In other words, we have to start from an understanding that our concept of misogyny is anachronistic - and that, maybe, is the tricky concept to convey to students.

Cate Gunn