Apologies for cross posting

The first blog post of our September's theme "Animation and Movement" will be up in a few days. Meanwhile, below you can find the CFP for our October's theme, which will be "Animation and Documentary". The deadline for submission is Tuesday 26th September.

Below you can find also a list of the upcoming themes.

If you have any idea of themes and/or would want to curate a month, let us know by writing at [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask]

We look forward to receiving your posts!

Best wishes,

Cristina

Dr. Cristina Formenti

Temporary co-editor of Animation Studies 2.0

follow us on twitter @anistudies

like us on Facebook  http://www.facebook.com/SocietyForAnimationStudies?ref=hl

CFP Animation & Documentary, October Theme

(Deadline Tuesday 26th September 2016)

October’s theme explores the manypossible intersections between animation and documentary. On occasion of boththe Norman McLaren-Evelyn Lambart Award for best book and for best article onanimation having been assigned this year to two pieces of scholarship addressingnonfiction animation, we invite contributions that engage with the long-lastingmarriage between the documentary genre and the medium of animation. Inparticular, we seek posts that tackle the dynamic changes that throughout thedecades have occurred at the intersection of animation and documentary at thelevel of content, aesthetics and production processes.

Topics include but are not limitedto:

- The use of animation in otherwiselive-action documentaries

- The animated documentary, itshistory and its aesthetics

- The animated mockumentary and theemployment of documentary aesthetics in fictional animated works

- Early nonfiction animationexperiments

- National differences inintersecting animation and documentary

- The political implications of theanimated representation of reality

- Animation and the perception ofthe real

- Animation and indexicality

Posts of between 300 and 500 words,which discuss any aspect of the above topic are welcome. Contributors areencouraged to include clips and images to support their posts. Please alsoinclude a short bio to accompany the post. All permissions are theresponsibility of the contributor. Pleasecontact the editors Cristina Formenti ( [log in to unmask] ) and Jacqueline Ristola ( [log in to unmask] ) for submissions and questions.

Upcoming themes

- November: comics and animation (guest curated by Chris Pallant and Craig Smith)
- December: queer animation (guest curated by Kodi Maier)

- January: animation and education (guest curated by Peter Lay)