Dear All,

We have recently been asked if we can allow HTML formatted emails to be posted to the MCG discussion list.
Historically only plain text formatting was allowed. We have been looking into this and can't really find any reason not to allow HTML as well. Many JISCMail lists offer this.

Some people have also told us they are prevented from taking part in discussions because their organisational email client uses HTML and they can't control it.

Well, we can't have that now, can we?
So from today, we are going to trial allowing HTML formatting as well.

We don't expect this will cause the world to collapse, but there is a possibility that the odd email sent will end up getting a bit mangled. There are so many ways that emails can be formatted when sent and so many devices and clients on which they are unscrambled that this might cause some oddness sometimes. We do limit the overall size of threads, so sometimes you may need to trim off some of the thread when replying. This is not a bad thing anyway. It is still best not to include images etc. unnecessarily, as this can make the discussion slower for people on their phones etc.

But hey, let's see what happens. We think including more people in the discussions will be worth it.

One other thing to note is that HTML formatted mail may then have live hyperlinks. As with life in general, you should assess any link in any email to check it is not a dodgy one. We can't guarantee that the odd rogue link won't occasionally slip the JISC spam filtering.

HTML posting has now enabled (as of about 11am 2 August 2016).

If you find any unusual formatting issues, feel free to email to [log in to unmask] marked with a subject line "HTML format issue"
I'll have a look at these and review after a while.
Note - I won't reply immediately and may not respond to all of them individually.

As a reminder our terms of use of the MCG list and general etiquette etc. are conveniently listed here
http://museumscomputergroup.org.uk/email-list/

Andrew Lewis
MCG list moderator

Andrew Lewis | Data and Insights Architect | Technology Solutions | Natural History Museum | Cromwell Road | London | SW7 5BD Tel:  020 7942 6134 | Email:[log in to unmask]
[cid:image001.png@01D1ECAF.373F9200]

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg