It is that time of year again when the CILIP Local Studies Group start calling for submissions for the Alan Ball Award for Local History publishing.

Criteria

Once again, there will be two awards this year, one for printed material and another for digital. Printed material might include books, pamphlets and guides etc.; while digital submission might include websites, apps, video, animation and some aspects of social media, such as blogs. We are interested in both the quality and usefulness of the content, and also how it engages the reader or user, especially new users.

The award is now be open to all heritage and community organisations involved with some aspect of Local History and who receive or have received public funding. This also includes lottery funding, e.g. Heritage Lottery Fund and Awards for All. In addition to local authority libraries, archives, museum and archaeology services; it includes small local museums, heritage centres and community history projects.

Submitting your entry

We will need submissions to be with us by 31st October 2016.

For more information and details on how to submit your nomination, please visit the LSG blog<https://lslibrarians.wordpress.com/2016/08/10/local-history-publication-e-publication-awards-nominations-open-now>.

The Prize

Winners will be given a certificate, the use of a winner’s logo and accorded the title of Alan Ball Award winner, which can be used on promotional material. Sadly, there is no trophy or cash prize, but as previous award winners will confirm, it is a prestigious award that is very meaningful within Local History community.

We expect judging to take place in November 2016.

Any other questions?

Contact Terry Bracher (Chairman of CILIP LSG) c/o Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre, Cocklebury Road, Chippenham. SN15 3QN, email: [log in to unmask] or telephone: 01249 705515.

Tony Pilmer
Librarian

National Aerospace Library
T: +44 (0)1252 701038