For your information.
--

Dominique Akhoun-Schwarb
Subject Librarian (Middle East, Central Asia & Islamica)

Directorate of Library and Information Services
SOAS, University of London

Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square

London WC1H 0XG

United Kingdom

100 years of SOAS 1916-2016. Visit soas.ac.uk/centenary to find out more about our history and celebrations.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dougherty, Robin <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 10 August 2016 at 17:54
Subject: [MELANET-L] Berlin workshop: "All You Can Do with Catalogs: Accessing, Organizing, Disseminating Local and Global Knowledge (15th-19th Centuries" 6-7 October

Dear friends,

I don’t think this was shared yet here—our colleague Guy Barak of NYU is one of the conveners:

“The workshop will explore shifts in the classification of knowledge in the pre-modern world, by examining the evolution of finding aids, such as catalogs, indexes, card files, and bibliographies, in a global perspective. The workshop's seminal idea arises from the convenor's shared interest in the history of manuscript cultures, libraries, and archives in Eurasia in the early modern era, comprising the Habsburg and the Ottoman empires, as well as large powerful states in Iran, the Indian Subcontinent, and China.  Its chronological framework is broadly defined as the period between 1400 and 1800, during which the accumulation and systematization of knowledge resulted mainly from tension between local, political, and scholarly agendas vis-à-vis the limitations of long-distance communication across Eurasia. As a result, the pursuit of a “connected history” of bibliographies followed from the observation that synchronic epistemologies and similar organizational systems occurred within different political and technological configurations. How cross-cultural relations shaped information management strategies is one of the concerns underpinning the workshop.”

http://www.forum-transregionale-studien.de/nc/forum/veranstaltungen/details.html?tx_tdcalendar_pi1[event]=733

Best,

Robin

Roberta L. Dougherty

Librarian for Middle East Studies

Yale University Library

P.O. Box 208240
New Haven, CT 06520-8240
U.S.A.

tel.: +1.203.432.1373 | fax: +1.203.432.7231 | e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Collection webpage | Faculty research profile | NEC on Facebook | Personal Librarian Program

[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">Schedule an appointment