Tinho,

Would it be possible for them to be donated to RAF Wyton?

Kind regards

Jane

From: A forum for issues related to map & spatial data librarianship [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Da Cruz, Tinho
Sent: 24 August 2016 09:50
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Naval Intelligence Handbooks - free to a library

Dear friends,

I’m disposing of an almost complete set of WWII Naval Intelligence Handbooks (215cm of shelf space). Our central library holds copies of these. I am therefore intending to weed them from my shelves. I am offering them to other libraries and am happy to split if there are libraries with missing volumes. Germany and Italy are not complete.

Best wishes

Tinho

Algeria (2 vols: volume 1 1944, volume 2 1944) (Oxford)

The Belgian Congo 1944 (Oxford)

Belgium 1944 (Cambridge)

Corsica 1942 (Cambridge)

Denmark 1944 (Cambridge)

France (4 vols: volume 1 1942, volume 2 1942, volume 3 1942, volume 4 1942) (Cambridge)

French Equatorial Africa and Cameroons 1942 (Oxford)

French West Africa (2 vols: volume 1 1943, volume 2 1944) (Oxford)

Germany (4 vols: volume 1 1944, volume 3 1944, volume 4 1944) (Cambridge) (vol. 2 missing)

Greece (3 vols: volume 1 1944, volume 2 1944, volume 3 1944) (Cambridge)

Iceland 1942 (Cambridge)

Indo-China 1943 (Cambridge)

Iraq and the Persian Gulf 1944 (Oxford)

Italy (4 vols: 1944, volume 2 1944, volume 3 1944, volume 4 1944) (Oxford) (volume 1 missing)

"The Naval Intelligence Division Geographical Handbook Series was produced between 1941 and 1946. At 31 titles, encompassing 58 volumes, this is the largest single body of geographical writing ever published. The books were written to provide information for the Allied war effort. They were written by academics in two teams, one based in Cambridge and the other at Oxford. As lives depended on the information presented in the Handbooks, speed of production and accuracy of content were paramount. After the war, many of these handbooks were re-published, in modified form, as textbooks. Although entitled Naval Intelligence Handbooks, the Handbooks were intended for use by all of the British Armed Forces, and covered whole countries, not just the coastal regions." Source : Wikipedia

António da Cruz (Tinho)
Map Curator,

Department of Geography and Planning, School of Environmental Sciences,

Roxby Building, University of Liverpool, LIVERPOOL  L69 7ZT
Telephone:  0151 794 2844
Fax:  0151 794 2866

Please note: I do not work on Monday afternoons or Thursday afternoons.

     If half the world knew how the other strives

     'Twould spoil the comfort of their easy lives.

From: Innes Juvenlie Library, The Cries of London or Pretty Moving Market, London, c.1800