This is a good question for us to share ideas about places to go, to get out of the office. These are exhibitions I hope to get to.

This is contemporary art illuminating social history about children, women and poverty.  http://foundlingmuseum.org.uk/events/found/

Colour and Vision at the Natural History Museum, not social history, but beautiful and family friendly

The National Maritime Museum has a special interactive exhibition about flight - which looks very family friendly but might be busy. http://www.rmg.co.uk/see-do/exhibitions-events/above-and-beyond-exhibition

And Fire! Fire! at the Museum of London

If you haven't been to any of them, I always think the best experiences are the more hidden ones, the little museums that were houses such as the Handel House Museum (now with Jimi Hendrix), Dr Johnson's House museum off Fleet Street, the Denis Severs House in Spitalfields or the Keats House Museum.

Have fun!

Bridget