Vicky Dawson

From: List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Richard Ellam
Sent: 28 August 2016 16:40
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Should this really be freelance?

Sorry, but this is definitely not a ‘freelance/self employed role’

This is a advertisement for someone to fill a part-time, fixed term contract
of employment on an inadequate salary cynically dressed up as a freelance
contract in a hopefully vain attempt to avoid paying employers’ NICs and to
avoid having to provide the poor sod who gets the job with the basic
entitlements of paid holiday, statutory sick pay and (if appropriate)
maternity pay, and probably also to avoid having to make any employers’
pension contributions.

The give-away is that the person appointed will be required to work a set
number of hours per week, report to a manager in the organisation and to
work alongside another part-time member of staff. The fig-leaf statement
that the person can be flexible in how they deliver the work required really
doesn’t wash given these other constraints.

Proper freelancers don’t normally work a set number of hours a week on a
job: they have milestones to deliver by agreed deadlines, and (within the
constraints of the job) they have complete freedom as to how, where and when
they do the work, with the flexibility to be able to effectively work for
more than one client at once. They often also have the freedom to
sub-contract work as they see fit, or to employ a substitute to undertake
the contracted task. None of these things seem to apply in this case.

You also don’t get many ‘proper' freelancers with significant experience
working for £125/day - for London I’d expect to get at least twice that, if
not something nearer three tomes the rate offered.

It is worth pointing out again that HMRC takes a dim view of sham freelance
contracts like this one, and they are more than happy to clobber ‘employers’
who try to pass off contracts of employment as freelance engagements with
onerous penalties and fines.

Quite what the Heritage Lottery Fund is doing putting money into a project
that is being run like this is a good question, too. Does nobody exercise
proper scrutiny over the management of HLF funded projects these days?

Hope this helps

In solidarity

Richard.

Richard Ellam