Hi Isaac,

PCA is done before ICA and not all principal components are retained. Those that explain little of the variance, i.e., those with tiny eigenvalues, are removed. The number represents the amount of variance from the original data with which ICA starts.

I'm not sure there is a specific value that would be ideal but I think most datasets would retain between 50 and 70% with 20 PCs.

All the best,

Anderson