thank you Dan, Terry,

The researchers asked 228 Hutterite colonies (with 70-120 residents) and 48 colonies were enrolled. Interestingly, 20 Hutterite colonies were not eligible because they did not vaccinate. I think these 20 nonvaccinated colonies would be good for an unvaccinated group.

Dan mentions secondary outcomes, indeed I think I am guilty of focusing on a secondary outcome and looked whether overall the intranasal or injected flu vaccine was effective - as far as I understand the article's statistical language, it appears not?

The authors themselves kept to the primary outcome. But that is, I think, where the impression/deception is created, by stating, that intranasal  "LAIV does not provide better community protection against influenza than (injected) IIV." The way it is put in words, to me, gives the impression that both provide protection against influenza, when it doesnt?

Which is also the questionable? headline in the BMJ :
"Intranasal flu vaccine provides similar protection to injected flu vaccine, finds study"
http://www.bmj.com/content/354/bmj.i4481