Hi,

   I would suggest something more in the middle.  Artifacts from the
bulk solvent model tend not to be lumpy since it doesn't really have any
Fourier coefficient of higher resolution than about 5 A.  It sounds to
me that you have something at partial occupancy.

   Contouring a map in units of "sigma" (which is really rmsd, but that
is the topic for a flame war) can be very deceptive.  As Herman said,
there will always be peaks at 3 rmsd since it is a relative measure.

   One way to calibrate your contour level is to leave out something
that you strongly believe is at full occupancy and compare the strength
of your mystery density to this standard density.  If the blob is only
half as dense as the density of the known, good, object you know
whatever it is it is there only about half the time.  This means you not
only have to build a model, but also refine its occupancy.

   Remember, if you see something binding at half occupancy, there is
something else there the other half of the time.  That might be bulk
solvent, but more likely ordered water molecules will be binding in this
pocket.  This fact makes interpreting the density harder because you are
looking at density that is the sum of a ligand and scattered water
molecules, AND these water molecules likely make the same hydrogen bonds
as your ligand.

   If you have a glycerol at half occupancy you will also have water
molecules that bind in pretty much the same locations as the hydroxyl
groups.  Those atoms will appear at near full occupancy because of this
superposition but the carbon atoms of the glycerol will appear at half
occupancy.  This can be a real mess, especially if the glycerol, itself,
has multiple binding modes.  How far down the rabbit hole of partial
occupancy you want to go is a judgement call.

Dale Tronrud