In 1969, when I started to work on a little program called SHELX, I had
to take a difficult
decidion. Should I put the unit-cell in the .hkl reflection data file as
well as in the .ins
instruction file (actually they were decks of cards)? I decided that
there should only be
one place where the cell could be input in so that there could never be
any confusion
about which cell to use. So the SHELX .hkl file, unlike other reflection
data files, does
not contain the cell. I have often regretted this decision, but maybe it
was right.

George

--
Prof. George M. Sheldrick FRS