I did sell my archives to a University Library for 2 reasons:
1) my son was going to college & I needed to raise money for his tuition. (That is one of the core reasons many poets wind up selling their archives: it brings in more money than their poetry ever did, & can be a useful little retirement nest-egg.)
2) That way all those dusty boxes are out of the house & well-organized — so should I ever want to locate something (which I doubt) I could actually do so.

Pierre