A term always seems to go with any magazine selection from any nation and "New Cambridge School" the chosen one for a diverse group of writers. I suppose even the blend of JH Prynne & Tom Raworth as mentors is not as simple as it looks despite the obvious writing styles. Purely from a general readership angle Raworth is an easier read than Prynne who demands closer attention from one's eye & ear. No doubt the later Raworth poems after "Eternal Sections" are complex to any newcomer not used to the overall output starting from his very first publications. The Carcanet production values of Raworth's Collected do him an injustice but I expect another edition could emerge in time.

Prynne also is less visible than Raworth to poetry audiences with far less air miles clocked up. Often in Raworth's readings once one connects to the speed factor there is real clarity and flair. The appeal of the pace in a Raworth text adds a rhythm that when heard is very impressive. His prose works help to understand the basis of Raworth's poetry as well as his interviews. So any citing of Prynne as a mentor would apply to Sutherland in particular who clearly is seen as post Prynne. Keston Sutherland is a fine reader by any standards which helps the audience he appeals to here & in the U.S.A.

The obvious post Raworth poet might be Sean Bonney but others may not agree on that view? There are other worthy writers whom Raworth has inspired on these islands and encouraged.

Overall any tag applied to any group of poets can wax and wane and I doubt if the Chicago Review intended it to be taken as gospel.

Turn that frown upside down