Hi, I agree with Helmut, the cross section is barley like and the lower part of the grain is visible in the other pictures.
As going about Rhamnus, Gierde what species are talking about?
Rhamnus cathartica is different (diaspores), I can not imagine that it is mistaken with barley.
Rhamnus alaternus is very characteristic, I don't know how it can look like after charring but rather not like barley.
I also have a look at Rhamnus globosa - also very characteristic, different than grass crop grains.
I haven't checked all species from our collection and surely we don't have all of them. All those 3 species have distinct, chracteristic diaspores different from each other so I can suppose that there is some Asiatic Rhamnus with barley like diaspores.
All the best
Aldona

It could well be Buckthorn seed,in Mongolia they look a lot like Hordeum or Triticum.You need the whole seed to be sure.

greetings from Kyrgyzstan

Giedre

Hi all. I would like your opinions on whether the attached photos could be of a drop-shape emmer (Triticum dioccum). It is from Mongolia.

Thank you!
Kathy

Kathryn Puseman
PAST (Paleoscapes Archaeobotanical Services Team), LLC
734 Mockingbird Trail
Bailey, Colorado  80421
303-906-3359

dr hab. Aldona Mueller-Bieniek