Hi

As noted earlier, it does rather sound like the actual question is really about antler rather than heart bones. But heart bones are rather more interesting, so...

I also came across this group of bones when researching horses in the veterinary literature, where they are considered rare.

Anatomy

They appear best known in bovids, especially cattle. Most references appear to associate the formation with larger animals, but you'll see below that a study of otters also found these bones. Like the hyoid, these cartilaginous structures appear to calcify with age in some animals. This would seem to suggest that such ossification might also occur in humans, but I'm not aware of the literature. Calcification would mean less flexibility but more structural support -- not sure what the effect is on heart function, but my general thought is probably not helpful to healthy heart function and suggestive of poor muscle function, not a good thing in a muscular pump... So, given it is generally rare and found in older animals such ossification would be considered a pathology.

os cordis dexter (5-6 cm), literally: bone of the heart, right
os cordis sinister

There is the suggestion from these phrases that there are often two bones, but the third term (trigona osseaindicates three or a triangular shape (see description below).
The pictures suggest irregular ossification of the triangular fibrous tissues which may form one or more un-linked 'bones' or more complete masses.

The left atrioventricular ring is closely connected, by its right margin, with the aortic arterial ring; between these and the right atrioventricular ring is a triangular mass of fibrous tissue, the Fibrous trigone, which represents the os cordis seen in the heart of some of the larger animals, as the ox and elephant.

Os cordis of mature Dromedary camel heart (Camelus dromedaries ... by A Balah.
available at: bdvets.org/JAVAR/V1I3/a26_130-135.pdf

Bones in the heart skeleton of the otter (Lutra lutra)
MONIKA EGERBACHER,1 HEIKE WEBER,2 and SILKE HAUER3
Our results establish the presence of bony material in the heart skeleton of the otter, a small mammalian species. This finding indicates that differentiation of bone is not exclusively related to the size of the organ. Increasing amounts of calcified cartilage and bone correlated with increasing age.

There are images here:
http://www.biolib.cz/en/image/id71259/
They appear such that they would be generally unlikely to survive well archaeologically or be recognised and recovered...

Folklore/ritual/amulets

I wasn't aware of this aspect, until quite recently, which is quite fascinating. Sort of similar to bezoar stones and toad-stones (bufonite). These both seem to be considered anti-poison amulets.

The heart-bone appears to be also commonly called the heartstone.

Such a deer's heartstone supplies the name of one of historical (Tudor) writer, CJ Sansom's books, which I just happen to be reading now. He describes it as the right of the one who kills the stag. It is supposed to stop the deer from dying of fear and give similar strength and courage to the wearer.
www.cjsansom.com/Shardlake

Finding an archaeological specimen would surely be a bit of very good luck...

cheers
Pam

Pamela J Cross
 Zoo/Bioarchaeology
Archaeological Sciences, University of Bradford,  BD7 1DP  UK
p.j.cross (at) student.bradford.ac.uk  / pajx (at) aol.com
http://www.barc.brad.ac.uk/resstud_Cross.php
http://bradford.academia.edu/PamCross

Life at the Edge  "liminality...enable[s] evolution and growth ... Boundaries and edges also characterize the dynamics of landscapes ... environments..[both intellectual and physical]." Andrews & Roberts 2012, Liminal Landscapes