Hi All,

In case anyone here is not on the HEPSYSMAN list...

There are only a few days left for applications for this job at UCL.
Please do encourage anyone you know who might be interested to apply.
Computer-savvy scientists are welcome, not just seasoned HPC professionals.

Cheers
Ben

On 09/06/16 20:34, Ben Waugh wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> We're looking for a system manager to help the HEP and Astrophysics
> groups here at UCL.
>
> If it looks familiar, it is because we didn't manage to fill the post
> before, so we are particularly keen to find someone who may have
> experience as a user rather than a provider of HPC services, and would
> like to learn more about the system management side.
>
> The application deadline is 15th July 2016.
>
> Please also pass it on if you know of anyone else who might be interested.
>
> Best wishes,
> Ben

> The Department of Physics and Astronomy is looking for a system manager
> to support world-class research teams working in the areas of
> high-energy physics and astrophysics. The postholder will maintain and
> develop high-performance computing (HPC) systems and software,
> contribute IT expertise to ongoing and future research projects, and
> assist with day-to-day management of our other research computing
> systems. They will work independently as well as assisting other system
> managers in the research groups and the wider departmental team of IT
> support staff. Through the department's strong links with the national
> DiRAC HPC facilities, the postholder will have access to tailored
> training in HPC system design and management.
>
> We use Linux clusters and servers, and Linux, Windows and OSX desktop
> workstations. The software used includes a wide variety of open-source
> and proprietary packages across these platforms, running on the
> department's own systems, on UCL's central research computing
> facilities, and on systems at other institutions. The high-energy
> physics (HEP) group at UCL is one of the largest in the country, with
> over 40 academic, research and support staff and 30 PhD students. Its
> research spans theory/phenomenology, analysis of data from the LHC, dark
> matter, neutrino experiments, and research and development on detectors
> and accelerators.
>
> The astrophysics group has about 50 members of academic, research and
> support staff and nearly 40 PhD students. Its research covers star
> formation, astrochemistry, extra-solar planets, galaxy formation and
> cosmology among other areas. More information about research in the
> department can be found at http://www.ucl.ac.uk/phys/research.
>
> This position is funded for 3 years in the first instance, but we expect
> this to be extended, subject to available funding
>
> More details, and an online application form, are available at
>    https://goo.gl/N0PGh3

Dr Ben Waugh                                   Tel. +44 (0)20 7679 7223
Computing and IT Manager                       Internal: 37223
Dept of Physics and Astronomy
University College London
London WC1E 6BT