Dear Maaly

"help save" says that you need to have 64-Bit operating system. Do you run Matlab on 64 Bit ?
you can also check which version SPM is using for save by using:  spm_get_defaults('mat.format'), for me it shows -v6

if not then you may change line 732 in "spm_spm.m" using

save( 'SPM.mat', SPM , '-v7.3' )

Best Regards
Rouhollah Abdollahi

Institut für Neurowissenschaften und Medizin (INM-3)
Forschungszentrum Jülich
Leo-Brandt-Straße
52425 Jülich, Germany
Tel: +49 2461 61-9324