Dear Feng,

the AFNI group fixed the bug related to the reduced size searched for clusters. In our preprint you can find a longer explanation (see below).

Bob Cox is still working on improving the 3dClustSim function. If you have further questions about 3dClustSim, I propose that you ask them at the AFNI message board, https://afni.nimh.nih.gov/afni/community/board/

"Secondly, a 15 year old bug was found in 3dClustSim while testing the three software packages (the bug was fixed
by the AFNI group as of May 2015 1 , during preparation of this manuscript). The effect of the bug was an underestimation
of how likely it is to find a cluster of a certain size (in other words, the p-values reported by 3dClustSim were too
low). The main idea behind the 3dClustSim function is to generate Gaussian noise with unit variance, and then smooth
it using a Gaussian lowpass filter with a size corresponding to the estimated group smoothness. This procedure is repeated a
large number of times, to obtain an estimate of how common different cluster sizes are for Gaussian noise. The smoothed
noise is rescaled back to unit variance, and 3dClustSim performs the rescaling by first estimating the variance of the
smoothed noise. Due to edge effects caused by the smoothing operation the boundary of the volume is attenuated, which
has two effects. First, the estimated variance used for standardization will be biased down, increasing the variance of
the simulated images. Second, the attenuation will reduce the chance that clusters will ever occur near the boundary,
effectively reducing the search volume and under estimating the severity of the multiple testing problem."

Regards,
Anders