Re Mike

--> Why don't statistical experts check the validity of commonly used imaging software (SPM, FSL, AFNI)?

they do -- actually doing what people recenty(ish) started doing, ie using low cluster determining threshold is known to be wrong since 1994 as described in the seminal Karl Friston's paper (as pointed out by Guillaume). Being quite cheeky here, I answer back 'why don't neuroscientists who employ neuroimaging as the research tool go to courses to make sure they understand the tool they use. That would prevent having to do another article like the cluster failure one'. No point pointing the finger, we simply need to increase education and standards.

--> But on the other hand, can the neuroscientific significant be determined by purely statistics?

nope and you are right -- context/priors are important, effect size matter as much as above/below threshold and in that respect Bayesian stats are nicer. In all cases, if you expect a region a show an effect, even if not significant in your given experiment, you should plot parameter estimates in there, see look at how 'high' it is with regards to the threshold and discuss this -- see https://www.amstat.org/newsroom/pressreleases/P-ValueStatement.pdf

Cyril

從我的 iPhone 傳送