Hi Marko

I'm afraid Johns' point is the right one .. you only explain above and beyond, while what you want is to span the same subspace. In practice what is taken away is what is common between global and local, ie you cannot decipher what is what. Now there is an alternative: global scaling, i.e. divide each voxel by the global value. Of course now you assume that this effect is constant everywhere, while before it scales differently in each voxel -  beware as your interpretation is a little different. Jonathan Peelle had a superb paper on this http://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2011.12.086

Best
Cyril

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
As others have pointed out, orthogonalising the confounding covariates w.r.t. those of interest would be a very bad idea.  If the variance in the data is explained by the confounding variables, then in order to obtain a good fit via the orthogonalised confounds, the multiple regression needs to use some of the variance of the effects of interest to explain it.  This simulation should show that this leads to an incorrect distribution under the null hypothesis.....

N = 10000;      % Number of simulations
P = zeros(N,1); % Simulated p values

c = [1 0 0 0];  % Contrast vector

for n=1:N
    X1 = randn(10,1);              % Effect of interest
    X2 = [randn(10,2) ones(10,1)]; % Confounds

    % Data partially explained by confounds
    y  = X2*randn(3,1)+randn(10,1);

    % Orthogonalising confounds w.r.t. effects of interest
    X2 = X2 - X1*((X1'*X1)\X1'*X2);

    % Design matrix
    X  = [X1 X2];

    if true
        % T statistic
        b  = X\y;
        nu = size(X,1)-rank(X);
        r  = sum((y-X*b).^2)/nu;
        t  = (c*b)/sqrt(r*c/(X'*X)*c');
        p  = 1-spm_Tcdf(t,nu);
    else
        % F statistic
        X0 = X*null(c);
        nu = [rank(X)-rank(X0), size(X,1)-rank(X)];
        t1 = y'*(y - X0*(X0\y));
        t2 = y'*(y - X*(X\y));
        F  = (t1-t2)/t2 * nu(2)/nu(1);
        p  = 1-spm_Fcdf(F,nu);
    end

    P(n) = p;
end

hist(P,100)
title('This histogram should be uniform');
xlabel('P-value');
ylabel('Frequency')

Best regards,
-John