Hi Anurodh,

Do you have polygon features for network representation in your shapefiles?
If this is the case, you can easily generate axial map using Depthmap.
If not, I personally feel that cetreline approach for calculating syntactic properties won't give you accurate results.
However you can look for papers comparing the calculation differences of the 2 approaches (I too have gone through some papers using TIGER lines and comparing it with Axial lines) and proceed.

Regards,
Rajesh