I think that there might be differences in the ethics of realist research, in terms of how the researcher is positioned in relation to the data. In positivist research the ethics is inherent to the methods of data collection/analysis and stats and so provided you have followed the rules of whichever method you choose you're ok. Interpretivist research requires a very explicit consideration of your own views, positions/biases and a clear strategy for minimising these through your research strategy such that you reveal the truths of the data as seen by your participants rather than through your own lens.

Ethics is about much more than the rules you must follow when collecting a certain type of data and reporting it in a certain way. Ethics are about what you as a researcher/evaluator actually do, and decisions you make. Taking a realist viewpoint that there is an objective truth, that can be approximated but not completely revealed, whilst simultaneously recognising that each of us interprets that truth through our own lenses, places us as researches in a pretty powerful position as we are able to declare a truth (in RE, the C-M-Os that we configure) and then ask others to comment on it. Ethically there must be clarity in how you wield that power in order to ensure that the results are a fair reflection of what is going on.

Not sure if i'm making any sense, still learning how to think about/write about this stuff.

Dr Thomas Simpson BA MA(Cantab) MBBS MRCP FHEA

Research Fellow in Simulation Education, King's College London

Room 5.13 KLI: PhD Student Room
Waterloo Bridge Wing
Franklin-Wilkins Building
Waterloo Road