Dear Melle,

I am not sure what is your actual position. Your text can be interpreted both ways. You ask questions and I am trying to offer limited help.

The concepts of natural and artificial are discussed for a long time by philosophers of science and technology without great success. In most cases, questions and answers depend on the paradigmatic bias of the discussants.

From an Activity Theory perspective, design is a goal oriented, purposeful action, preplanned and reflected. If you think that animals can engage in such actions, then you can prove that they can design. If you think only people can reason in abstract terms, set goals, make complex plans, etc., then animals cannot design. Historical materialists have developed criteria for thinking that can be applied only for people. They believe that even when animals engage in complex actions, they do that by instinct. Some leeway for interspecies learning is open, to account for learning by imitating (not by reasoning and understanding). Positivists might not agree with this approach. Scholars from particular paradigms might treat certain animal behaviors as goal directed depending on their conceptualization of goal, goal formulation, and ability to plan for goal achievement. Such scholars also believe in animal culture. Historical materialists believe that culture is a quality pertinent only to humans.

Is a milk cow natural or artificial? Is it a milk production bot? Philosophers can argue about this for ever. Also, the concepts of natural and artificial can be treated as relational.

My personal view is that natural design is an oxymoron, like iron wood and wooden iron. At this time I am not ready to argue about this. One of my former bosses, a brilliant philosopher, spend his entire life developing a general theory of the artificial and artification. Sadly, he passed away before putting anything together. I don't want to go that way. But I still keep a vivid interest in this subject.

Best wishes,

Lubomir

-----Original Message-----
From: PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related research in Design [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Melle Zijlstra
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2016 6:39 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: "Natural" design

Hi all,

I am fascinated by the use of the notion "natural" by some of the contributors to this list. Is it "natural" for beavers to build dams, but not for humans? Would it be "not natural" if beavers started making cars? Should we then try and prevent them from doing so, because we find it is "not natural" behaviour? Or should we just call it "evolution"?

People ask children not to bounce on the sofa, because it will wreck the damn thing (imagine the environmental damage of replacing a sofa!). Jinan, you ask us not to expose children to bright colours, because it supposedly wrecks these poor creatures. Would it be better for kids to sit still on a beige sofa or to bounce on a bright pink one? I'm curious to see where 'the wrong path' will lead us, but I'm sure it'll be an entertaining journey!

"No waste in nature" is another interesting one. Michael Braungart and William McDonough perfectly showed to understand the appeal of this argument and their book Cradle to Cradle and the accompanying certifications company must have turned them into millionaires.

If I may suggest some literature, read The Nature and Aesthetics of Design by David Pye, written in 1978 and still relevant as can be.

Melle

melle zijlstra         (phd researcher | university of bath | department of computer science)
bath                   (uk)
dublin                 (ireland)

(uk)                   +447495905169
(ie)                   +353851972372