Dear Don (and All),

As noted by Don, I willingly confess. I agree with Don’s definition of the word “hack,” and I generally use the word “hack” as he defines it. The key point was not what the word “hack” means. It is the question of what we design, and why.

As it is, I have no investment in one word as Allison Arieff used it. Arieff pointed to a new book by Jessica Helmand. The important point of the article was the issue of what we ought to be designing, and why we ought to be designing what we design. This had less to do with the the word “hack” than with larger questions.

Don is right about the word “hack.” Arieff makes sense on the key issues in the article.

Alas, hacking may not be so good for me. Ezekiel issued the warning long ago: “They will bring a mob against you, who will stone you and hack you to pieces with their swords.” — Ezekiel 16:40 (NIV)

As Chuck Berry said: “ ‘C’est la vie,’ say the old folks … It goes to show you never can tell.”

Ezekiel and Don qualify as prophets. I am merely one of the old folks. “Why,” as King Henry said before the Battle of Agincourt, “Why should they mock poor fellows thus?”

Yours,

Ken

Ken Friedman, PhD, DSc (hc), FDRS | Editor-in-Chief | 设计 She Ji. The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation | Published by Tongji University in Cooperation with Elsevier | URL: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/she-ji-the-journal-of-design-economics-and-innovation/

Chair Professor of Design Innovation Studies | College of Design and Innovation | Tongji University | Shanghai, China ||| University Distinguished Professor | Centre for Design Innovation | Swinburne University of Technology | Melbourne, Australia

—

Don Norman wrote:

—snip—

(I will violate a standing rule of this mailing list not to make fun
of individuals but rather to debate the ideas, not the people. But in this
case, I can't help but make fun of the illustrious Ken Friedman. He goofed.
So he deserves this scolding. (and knowing Ken, he will approve of the
scolding.)

—snip—