Dear Colleagues,
Two interesting papers from 2011 by Per Galle were just posted to academia.edu <http://academia.edu/> . One concerns the roles of Foundation theory and Instrumental theory for design. Per concludes:
What the readings would suggest is that instrumental theories might well be affected by one’s foundational theories, but in rather obscure ways. Furthermore, foundational theory tends to be stipulated without justification regarding its usefulness in supporting instrumental theory. Thus, when it comes to answering our second focus question, about what a good foundational theory is, we are at a loss for guiding principles.

I suggest that A Theory of Design Thinking overcomes the unifying principle problem and several other ones by basing design theory in a foundational theory of purposeful thought, then allowing instrumental theories of all kinds to be defined by the purpose, background, context and circumstances that gives them focus.  This provides a unifying framework for science and design, services and artifacts, as well as personal, cultural, and social interests and concerns. Papers about the range of issues addressed by the theory and the roles that philosophical stances and emotions play in it suggest the versatility and scope of this approach.

Please explore any of the 35 papers about the theory that address your interests or concerns. They are all available on academia.edu <http://academia.edu/> and may be accessed by googling Charles H Burnette, academia.edu <http://academia.edu/> or www.independent.academia.edu/charlesburnette <http://www.independent.academia.edu/charlesburnette>.

Charles Burnette