Dear Colleagues,

could you please point interested students to the following PhD position -- a printable PDF for distribution on announcement boards can be downloaded at https://desycloud.desy.de/index.php/s/zZiRidtfKRcNMIp

We are investigating the structure-function relationship of conformer-selected complex molecules. In collaboration with the Willitsch group in Basel we have performed pioneering benchmark experiments to investigate structure-dependent chemical reactivities (see Science paper below). These experiments are now extended to the investigation of conformer-separated molecule-molecule reactions.

In this project the candidate will extend our benchmark studies to the investigation of conformer specific reactivity studies of complex chemical reactions, such as cycloadditions (Diels-Alder reactions) and other textbook examples, in order disentangle the microscopic details. This involves the experimental verification of relevant molecular properties in deflection and spectroscopy experiments, and the measurement of conformer specific reactivities. Moreover, the detailed analysis requires programming, simulations of the deflection process, and quantum-chemistry calculations. This project will involve repeated travel to our collaborators at the University of Basel, Switzerland.

A successful candidate will have a strong background in physical chemistry, molecular physics, or a related field. Experience with molecular beams, high-vacuum equipment, short-pulse lasers or quantum-chemistry codes is a plus.

We offer unique research opportunities in an interesting and open team and with first-class experimental and computational facilities. Our group is embedded in the Center for Free-Electron-Laser Science, DESY, the University of Hamburg and the  excellence cluster Hamburg Center for Ultrafast Imaging.

Science, 342, 98–101 (2013) – http://dx.doi.org/10.1126/science.1242271
Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 133003 (2008) – http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.100.133003
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 48, 4900 (2009) – http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/anie.200900755

Contact: Prof. Dr. Jochen Küpper ([log in to unmask]); https://www.controlled-molecule-imaging.org

Best wishes,
Jochen
--
Controlled Molecule Imaging Group –  https://www.controlled-molecule-imaging.org
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Jochen Küpper, Center for Free-Electron Laser Science, DESY and Universität Hamburg

                 open positions  –  https://www.controlled-molecule-imaging.org/careers
 CFEL Molecular Physics Seminar  –  https://www.molecular-physics.org/news/seminar
                   ERC COMOTION  –  https://www.comotion.info

To join or leave the molecular-dynamics-news email list, go to:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/molecular-dynamics-news.html