Dear Colleagues,
please bring the following PostDoc position to the attention of interested candidates.

PostDoc project:
Cryogenic buffer-gas cooling of bio-molecules and nanoparticles
In this ERC-funded project we will develop strategies to cryogenically shock-freeze large molecules and nanoparticles, ranging from model peptides to entire viruses. This involves the setup of a cryogenic buffer-gas cell and its coupling to various vaporization and particle sources available or in development in our group (e.g., liquid jets, aerodynamics lenses, electrospray, etc.). The resulting cold samples will be thoroughly characterized (density, distribution, shape, isomer, etc.) and applied in fundamental physics and biochemistry/structural biology studies within the ERC-Consolidator-Grant funded project COMOTION.

The produced and well-controlled cold samples of large molecules and nanoparticles will be investigated using femtosecond lasers and they will be applied in x-ray and electron diffraction experiments, using table-top (laboratory) as well as at free-electron-laser sources.

The successful candidate will have an excellent PhD in physical chemistry, molecular physics, or a related field. Experience with cryogenics, particle imaging, high-vacuum equipment, and pulsed lasers is highly desirable.

We offer unique research opportunities in an interesting and open team and with first-class experimental and computational facilities. Our group is embedded in the Center for Free-Electron-Laser Science, DESY, the University of Hamburg and the  excellence cluster Hamburg Center for Ultrafast Imaging

Nature 470, 78 (2011) - http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nature09748
Annu. Rev. Phys. Chem. 64, 415 (2013) — http://dx.doi.org/10.1146/annurev-physchem-032511-143708
Struct. Dyn. 2, 041717 (2015)  -  http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4922648
Int. Rev. Phys. Chem. 34, 557 (2015) – http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0144235X.2015.1077838
Opt. Express 24, 6507 (2016)  - http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/OE.24.006507

For more information or enquiries please contact:
Dr. Daniel Horke  - [log in to unmask]
Prof. Jochen Küpper - [log in to unmask]
https://www.controlled-molecule-imaging.org

Best wishes,
Daniel

Controlled Molecule Imaging Group - http://www.controlled-molecule-imaging.org
Dr. Daniel Horke

Centre for Free-Electron Laser Science (CFEL)
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron (DESY)
Notkestr. 85
22607 Hamburg
Germany