Dear colleagues,

I’m pleased to announce that issue 26 of MeCCSA's newsletter, Three-D, is now available.

This is a special issue on academic freedoms. It includes features on the HE White Papers, the Government Prevent agenda, Brexit and media reform. As always we also feature our regular network and Annual Conference updates.

Web version of newsletter: http://www.meccsa.org.uk/news/newsletter/
Direct link to PDF file of newsletter (4Mb): http://bit.ly/ThreeD-Issue026_v1

If you are attending the IAMCR conference this week, you will also be able to pick up a paper(!) copy of the newsletter there.

Three-D, issue 26 (PDF, 4 Mb) - Latest

In this issue:
1 Future of HE and academic freedoms (Einar Thorsen)

Future of Higher Education
2 More audit and less academic freedom? (David Hesmondhalgh)
4 From Green to Gold: reclaiming our universities (Natalie Fenton)
6 Threat from unrestrained competition (Janet Jones)
6 The Story of the TEF (Abigail Gardner)
7 In defence of Media Studies (Lucy Bennett & Jenny Kidd)
8 Dealing with the gendered pay gap (Rachel Cohen & Jo Littler)

Prevent & surveillance
9 Prevent, civil liberty and the assault on learning (Milly Williamson)
10 The case for evidence-based worrying (Barry Richards)
11 Surveillance and the Investigatory Powers Bill (Arne Hintz)
12 Fight the rise of the right (Bethany Usher)

EU Referendum
13 Brexit and the academy (Daniel Jackson)

Media Reform
15 Chilcot Report, whatever! (Gholam Khiabany)
17 A Future for Public Service TV? (Des Freedman)
18 Diversity, minorities, pluralism and the future of PSB (Anamik Saha)

MeCCSA Annual Conferences
20 MeCCSA 2016: ‘Communities’ (Àgnes Gulyàs)
23 MeCCSA 2017: University of Leeds (Anna Zoellner)

Reports and initiatives
25 Chair’s report (Natalie Fenton)
26 Turkish academics and media studies
27 Funding MeCCSA subjects (John Downey)
28 Response submitted by MeCCSA to the Stern Review of the Research Excellence Framework (REF)
31 Response submitted by MeCCSA to the Better use of data in government public consultation
33 Race, Ethnicity and Postcolonialism Network (Rinella Cere)
34 Practice Network (Rachel Younger; Joanna Callaghan)
35 Postgraduate Network (Simon Dawes)

Three-D is the official newsletter of MeCCSA. Its aim is to provide news and comment of interest to the media, communication and cultural studies fields. Contributions do not necessarily reflect the views of the Association, or its Executive Committee.

If you would like to write for or advertise in the next edition of Three-D, please get in touch with me by October 2016 at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

We aim to produce two issues of Three-D per year. Electronic copies are sent free to all members of MeCCSA, but please forward this email to colleagues who might not be on the distribution lists.

All the best,
Einar

Einar Thorsen, PhD
Principal Lecturer in Journalism and Communication

Associate Director, CsJCC
http://research.bournemouth.ac.uk/centre/journalism-culture-and-community/

Twitter:   http://twitter.com/einarthorsen
Phone:   +44 (0)1202 968838

Communication Officer of MeCCSA:
http://www.meccsa.org.uk/

EU Referendum Analysis 2016:
http://www.referendumanalysis.eu/

BU is a Disability Two Ticks Employer and has signed up to the Mindful Employer charter. Information about the accessibility of University buildings can be found on the BU DisabledGo webpages This email is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email, which must not be copied, distributed or disclosed to any other person. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Bournemouth University or its subsidiary companies. Nor can any contract be formed on behalf of the University or its subsidiary companies via email.