The following from Barbara Pezzini:

Dear colleagues and friends,

Together with an international group of colleagues, I am a founding
member of The International Art Market Studies Association (TIAMSA)
which was recently set up in London. TIAMSA is a non-profit scholarly
association that follows the time-tested model of societies such as the
Association of Historians of Nineteenth Century Art
(<http://ahnca.org/>) or the Renaissance Society of America
(<http://rsa.org/>).

TIAMSA will provide a platform for networking and scholarship for
students of the art market, an area of research which has recently
become very dynamic. It is open to all disciplines and welcomes
professionals, independent scholars and students from all backgrounds.

TIAMSA will organize conferences, field trips and gatherings. We have
also set up a website which we aim to develop into a platform for
information exchange both for members and non-members. Last but not
least we also intend to provide a platform for scholarly literature.

As we are only just setting up, our membership fees are modest. Regular
membership comes at 20 GBP per calendar year, concessionary membership
at 10 GBP (in 2016 there will be a 50% discount, meaning that regular
membership for 2016 comes at 10 GBP). Members will receive a reduction
on our conference registration fee and additional benefits such as
access to the membership area of the website, discount on publications,
etc. Membership registration is easy and payment can be made online.

This is a great moment to join as we are still building our structures
and therefore welcome any kind of involvement. We are particularly
looking for new members who are interested in heading national or
regional sub-committees (also in countries outside Europe and North
America!) or who want to act as ambassadors to various disciplines that
contribute to art market studies (such as economics, legal studies,
sociology, art history, history, provenance studies, etc.). We are also
very happy to welcome students.

On July 13th, 7:30pm we are holding our first Annual General Meeting in
London at Sotheby’s Institute, 30 Bedford Square, London WC1B 3EE;
if you would like to join you will be able to sign up for membership
there and then.

If you are interested, please visit <http://artmarketstudies.org/> and
have a closer look.
The Board and the founding members would be very happy to welcome you as
a member!

With best wishes,
Barbara Pezzini

**apologies if you receive this email from more than one of us, and
please forward this email to anyone you think may be interested - if you
wanted to give the  Association a tweet or any other mention in social
media, that would be great - thank you!**

———————————

TIAMSA Founding members:
(* = also a member of the Board)

*Lynn Catterson (Ph.D. Columbia University 2002; Independent Scholar, USA)

Alan Crookham (professional archivist, Head of the London National
Gallery Research Centre)

Christel Force (Associate Research Curator Modern and Contemporary, The
Metropolitan Museum of Art)

*Frances Fowle (Reader and International Director, Edinburgh College of
Art, University of Edinburgh; Senior Curator of French Art at the
Scottish National Gallery)

Antoinette Friedenthal (Ph.D. Free University Berlin, 1999; Independent
Scholar, Germany)

Jeremy Howard (Head of Research and Academic Projects at Colnaghi; Head
of Art History at the University of Buckingham; programme director of MA
in the Art Market and History of Collecting, University of Buckingham
and National Gallery London)

*Christian Huemer (Head of the ‘Project for the Study of Collecting and
Provenance’ at the Getty Research Institute, Los Angeles)

*Veronika Korbei (PhD Hamburg University 2012; Independent Scholar, Austria)

*Johannes Nathan (PhD Courtauld Institute 1995; Art Dealer; Independent
Art Historian; Co-founder of the Forum Kunst und Markt at Technische
Universität Berlin - <http://fokum.org/>)

*Barbara Pezzini (Index Editor of The Burlington Magazine; Recipient of
an AHRC Collaborative Doctoral Award between The National Gallery and
the University of Manchester to study the relationship between the
museum and London art dealers Agnew’s; Editor-in-chief for the journal
Visual Resources)

Inge Reist (Director of the Center for the History of Collecting at the
Frick Collection and Frick Art Reference Library)

Catherine B. Scallen (Andrew W. Mellon Associate Professor in the
Humanities at Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland OH)

*Jonathan Woolfson (Deputy Director of Sotheby’s Institute of Art, London)