One question for me is: If I publish with an open access, particularly start-up type, can I really count on that organization satisfying funding agency requirements?

Another is: Will it soon become each PI’s responsibility to archive their interpretations as well as their data?

Paul

On Jul 26, 2016, at 10:40 AM, Piotr Krzywiec <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Or, in another words, there is nothing like a free lunch ... I totally agree with Alan, different options need to be searchedas new times of OA (or some rendition of it) are coming but there are some basic rules that must not be violated ...

regards,

Piotr

***************************************
sent from my handheld
please excuse the typing

-------- Oryginalna wiadomość --------
Od: Alan Gibbs <[log in to unmask]>
Data: 2016.07.26 16:26 (GMT+01:00)
Do: [log in to unmask]
Temat: Re: Publication fees for Geology

It used to be that you joined your professional society and your subscription paid for the journal which you got as a member. As a society member you would also on occasion be asked to give your free time to review the work of others. (Note your time, not your institution's or employer's). Libraries also bought the journal and it was then available through the library to those who weren't members of that society. Sometimes it might take a few weeks to get something through inter library loans and you could then read it and make notes.

All that works well, you get a good quality science publishing available to all and the cost of doing this gets spread around those in whose interests it is to get their work published and to have some form of quality assurance.

There was, of course, always the opportunity for vanity or self-publishing and if you were sufficiently well know or smart you could write the text book and get a commercial publisher to pay to have it made and marketed. No one got rich in this, but the wages of those involved in publication got paid.

Now no one wants to join a society because it's "too expensive", "what's in it for me?", "their meetings are always too difficult to get too", "I'm poor and deserve it for free" etc. etc. Everyone also seems to believe that everything should be as cheap as chips or even better, free. Food, music, film, books, software, science writing. If it's not, somehow too many otherwise honest people think it's ok to copy it and stick it out there for themselves and others. Guys, it's not, it's theft.

You personally want and expect to be paid a salary for what you do. So you have to expect that those whose job it is to publish need paid too. If it helps you can think of it as a form of tax like the stuff you pay to the government to provide the police, hospitals, roads or whatever.

Yes, with the internet it is perfectly reasonable to ask if the old fashioned way of publishing science in society (and commercial) hard copy journals is still the right way. The GSA is exploring one possible option. Yes, we need a new payment model.

But do not think that you should not pay for it, either directly from your salary or from your research fund. If it's is free it's going to be dominated by garbage or someone is taking you for a big ride somewhere else.

While we are at it, we should also be asking .."is the sheer quantity of published stuff the real problem?" Perhaps we already have sacrificed too much quality and got way too much garbage in exchange? In science, even with decent peer review, most of what we do turns out to be garbage.

Rant over,

Alan