Hi Alberto,
Odd number of cards will be used equally efficiency as even numbers for
2D and 3D classification. It's only the 3D auto-refine that makes better
use of even number of cards (as each half-set is processed by a
different MPI process). If you need 1 card for something else, I would
probably choose to run relion with 3 cards rather than complicating your
setup with 5 cards....
HTH,
Sjors

On 07/18/2016 10:42 AM, Alberto Riera wrote:
> Thank you for all the advice!
>
> I was thinking a little bit more about this computer and I wonder if
> it would be advantageous for us to install an additional GPU. I know
> that Relion uses the GPUs better in pairs, so the idea would be to let
> 4 cards just for it and use the spare one for some other tasks if
> needed. Alternatively, we could use the fifth card with Relion as
> well, although it would be less efficient than having six of them.
>

> On 14/07/16 16:01, Craig Yoshioka wrote:
>> Hi Alberto,
>>
>> I’d like to add, it might be worthwhile to keep a few of those CPUs
>> and RAM on the side for ZFS.  I’d highly recommend turning on ZFS LZ4
>> compression, especially on raw frame stacks it’ll save a lot of space
>> and be faster I/O.
>>

>>> On Jul 14, 2016, at 5:09 AM, Erik Lindahl <[log in to unmask]
>>> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Alberto,
>>>
>>> On vacation, so sorry if I'm a bit brief.
>>>
>>> I think your machine will work great if it's intended as a staging
>>> server where you do all/most processing. We have a highly similar
>>> one, where we also got an external 44-disk enclosure for storage.
>>>
>>> However, if you want to get more than one machine, we prefer to
>>> separate CPU-heavy and GPU-heavy nodes. The reason is that even the
>>> GPU code will use CPUs, so you will hurt your GPU performance a lot
>>> if you start to run a CPU job on the same machine - and if you
>>> don't, you waste those expensive CPUs. For this reason we  bought
>>> one set of CPU-only nodes with fast processors and then cheap CPUs
>>> for the GPU nodes - on the whole I think that provides better value
>>> for  cluster nodes.
>>>
>>> We no longer use RAID cards, but have moved to ZFS instead. If you
>>> use ubuntu 16.04 it even comes built-in.
>>>
>>> The released version of oculus rift unfortunately no longer supports
>>> plain display mode, so unless a program has been adapted to their
>>> devkit, you won't be able to use it.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Erik
>>>

>>> Erik Lindahl <[log in to unmask]
>>> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
>>> Professor of Biophysics
>>> Science for Life Laboratory
>>> Stockholm University & KTH
>>> Office (SciLifeLab): +46 8 524 81567
>>> Cell (Sweden): +46 73 4618050
>>> Cell (US): +1 267 3078746
>>>

>>> On 14 juli 2016, at 07:24, Alberto Riera
>>> <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>

Sjors Scheres
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology
Francis Crick Avenue, Cambridge Biomedical Campus
Cambridge CB2 0QH, U.K.
tel: +44 (0)1223 267061
http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/groups/scheres