I think this comes down to the grammatical interpretation of Herman's sentence, thus if one reads it as:

"... the diffraction pattern is the transform of (the unit cell convoluted with the crystal lattice), ..."

then it is correct.  However the additional comma after "cell" in the original does render the interpretation ambiguous.

On the other hand if one reads it as:

"... the diffraction pattern is (the transform of the unit cell) convoluted with (the transform of the crystal lattice), ..."

then clearly it is not correct: as you point out "convoluted with" needs to be replaced with "multiplied by".

Knowing Herman, I'm pretty sure he intended the first interpretation and it was all down to that pesky comma!

Cheers

-- Ian