Can't one always assume a healthy dose of irony with all ".uk" email addresses?

JPK

-----Original Message-----
From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Randy Read
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2016 9:36 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] How to answer a reviewer

Dear Kay,

Thanks for clarifying that!  Indeed, I should have used a different word or put "rewarded" in quotation marks to make the ironic intent clearer!

Randy

> On 6 Jul 2016, at 14:05, Kay Diederichs <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2016 09:13:22 +0100, Randy Read <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Dear Zbyszek,
>>
>> I agree completely with your general point that there is a trend for an increasing number of people to adopt too-low symmetry, rewarded by lower R-factors in twinned refinement.
>
> Dear Randy,
>
> I wish you had not used the word "rewarded" - for Germans at least, it has no ironic or pejorative connotation. I hope people do not understand this as if you were endorsing this unfortunate practice. There are already too many structures being twin-refined "because it reduces the R-factors" (and I fell into this trap as well before reading  Garib N. Murshudov (2011) "Some properties of crystallographic reliability index - Rfactor: effect of twinning" Appl. Comput. Math., V.10, N.2, 2011, pp.250-261 http://www.ysbl.york.ac.uk/refmac/papers/Rfactor.pdf ).
>
> best,
>
> Kay

------
Randy J. Read
Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research      Tel: + 44 1223 336500
Wellcome Trust/MRC Building                   Fax: + 44 1223 336827
Hills Road                                    E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Cambridge CB2 0XY, U.K.                       www-structmed.cimr.cam.ac.uk