I think it's best not to use the word. It doesn't mean advanced or innovative and all that; it means you don't know what the result is going to be; purloined from scientific method. It also implies a fixed and tested procedure towards a result which can be replicated and checked.  The only poetry I've felt happy using it for has been stuff which manipulates language (or language elements) without generative impulsion. Holy sonnet's quite fun isn't it.
pr