From: Jamie McKendrick <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, 28 July 2016, 18:30
Subject: Re: a bit ofresearch

Mark's "a phase of their poetic adolescence" doesn't surprise me as an
account of many poets' response to Dylan Thomas. In a way, mine too. Only
that should acknowledge the great importance, the condicio sine qua non
(excusing my French), of adolescence. "Everyone's mum", in John's message,
seems to me to show excellent taste in having Fern Hill as her favourite -
it's a poem of extraordinary, fluid beauty. I can see how for John there
might be a need to rescue Thomas from many decades of academic oblivion by
emphasising his modernist, his "microcosmic and biomorphic coordinates", but
he needs little rescuing on behalf of the public who have continued to
revere him. I was given a lift a few months back by someone who rarely reads
any poetry and top of the pile of CDs was Dylan Thomas reading his poems. In
my experience this is quite typical - Thomas is the last truly popular poet
we've had.
    The Movement's reaction against the perceived emotionalism of his work
has been documented, but the only reference I've found from admittedly early
Larkin is one expressing delight and admiration. The tedious assumption,
much repeated on this list, that the Movement's aesthetics flow seamlessly
into what's called the contemporary 'mainstream' (including Northern Irish
poetry) leads to another fallacious assumption that this grouping
disapproves of Thomas.
Jamie