Good morning, colleagues,

The Heinz Archive & Library is seeking volunteers for library cataloguing and portrait indexing projects. Details are available here...

http://www.npg.org.uk/about/jobs/heinz-archive-and-library-volunteer-opportunities.php

... and are copied from that page at the foot of this message, below.

Upon completion of a (reasonably painless, non-invasive) security clearance, volunteers are issued with a Gallery staff pass that affords free access to exhibitions at most national and regional museums and discounts in the National Portrait Gallery shops and restaurants. We are able to reimburse travel expenses up to £10.00/day.

We might also be able to accommodate short-term placements for library students or librarians who already have a basic understanding of MARC21 and AACR2/RDA but seek to improve their practical cataloguing chops.

Thank you for your time,

Joseph

Heinz Archive and Library Volunteer Opportunities
The National Portrait Gallery's Heinz Archive and Library is an important research facility housing library and manuscript collections, as well as a unique collection of reference material relating to British portraiture including image files that contain more than 600,000 photographic and other reproductions of portraits and an index that contains more than a million references to British portraits.
We have voluntary opportunities available to help the department maintain and develop these resources.  Training will be provided for all voluntary positions and there may be opportunities to participate in other training programmes and events organised by the Gallery.
Volunteer Library Cataloguer(s)
Project 1. Sales catalogues. The Archive & Library is initiating a project to catalogue its extensive collection of sales catalogues.
We have multiple opportunities for volunteers to assist with this project. Working from a template and following detailed written instructions, volunteers will create individual library catalogue records for catalogues issued by major British and international auction houses according to accepted international standards. While suitable for anyone with an interest in recording and retrieving information, this opportunity might especially interest those considering a career in library work. This opportunity requires:

  *   Interest in British portraiture, the historic art market, and in the work of the National Portrait Gallery
  *   Close attention to detail and dedication to consistency
  *   Ability to work independently while following detailed instructions, but judgment to seek advice when required
  *   Ability to learn new computer software
  *   Good skills in interrogating external online resources
  *   Previous experience working in a library setting or interest in librarianship as a career is highly desirable
This opportunity will be available from August 2016, volunteering one day per week (to be agreed) during normal business hours. If successful you will be asked to complete a basic disclosure form. In the first instance we ask for a minimum commitment of six months, with a view to an ongoing placement.
Volunteers will gain:

  *   Experience working with the Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules (AACR2), the MARC21 format, Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH), and Library of Congress Authority Files (LCAF)
  *   Experience working with a library management system (LMS)
  *   Experience working in a special library

Project 2. Popular periodicals. We have recently received a significant gift of twentieth-century lifestyle and popular culture magazines, and have begun creating complete and accurate catalogue records for these holdings. This involves physically surveying the shelves, adding and editing records on the catalogue system, and marking individual items.
We have multiple opportunities for volunteers to assist with this project, under the direction of a Library Assistant. This opportunity requires:

  *   Interest in British portraiture and history and in the work of the National Portrait Gallery
  *   Close attention to detail, appreciation for consistency, and the ability to maintain focus and consistency when performing repetitive tasks
  *   Ability to work independently while following detailed instructions, but judgment to seek advice when required
  *   Ability to learn new computer software
  *   Previous experience working in a library setting or interest in librarianship as a career is highly desirable
This opportunity will be available from August 2016, volunteering one day per week (to be agreed) during normal business hours. If successful you will be asked to complete a basic disclosure form. In the first instance we ask for a minimum commitment of six months, with a view to an ongoing placement.
Volunteers will gain:

  *   Experience working with a library management system (LMS)
  *   Experience working in a special library
* * *
Library Volunteer - Portrait Indexer
The Archive & Library has indexed portraits illustrated or noted in published materials since the early 20th century, but has now begun indexing in electronic form with the eventual goal of making index records remotely available - on the internet.
This project involves identifying images that should be indexed, and creation of new index records in the database. We are looking for one or two volunteers to work under the direction of a Library Assistant. Initial training will occur on Fridays, with indexing likely to occur on Thursdays or Fridays. This opportunity requires:

  *   Familiarity with British portraiture or biography and interest in the work of the National Portrait Gallery
  *   Close attention to detail and dedication to consistency
  *   Ability to work independently while following detailed instructions, but judgment to seek advice when required
  *   Ability to learn new computer software
This opportunity will be available from August 2016, volunteering one day per week (probably Thursday or Friday) during normal business hours. If successful you will be asked to complete a basic disclosure form. In the first instance we ask for a minimum commitment of six months, with a view to an ongoing placement.
Volunteers will gain:

  *   Awareness of portraits representing prominent contributors to British culture and history
  *   Experience working with a collections management database
  *   Experience working in a special library
* * *
Please apply by post, stating which opportunity interests you, which days you are available, and enclosing a copy of your curriculum vitae, to: Joseph Ripp, Librarian, National Portrait Gallery, St Martin's Place, London WC2H 0HE.
The closing date for all opportunities is 5:00pm on Monday, 25 July 2016.  Those who are short-listed will be contacted by Friday 29 July 2016.  We regret that we are not able to acknowledge applications due to our funding position. Informal meetings are expected to take place during the following two weeks, and the placements to begin soon thereafter.

Joseph Ripp
Librarian
National Portrait Gallery  St Martin's Place  London WC2H 0HE
T 020 7321 6637 F 020 7306 0056  www.npg.org.uk<http://www.npg.org.uk/>
click here<http://www.npg.org.uk/whatson/news2/newsletter-sign-up.php> to register for the Gallery's e-newsletter

This e-mail, and any attachment, is intended only for the attention of the addressee(s). Its unauthorised use, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all copies and inform the sender by return e-mail.
P Please consider the environment; do you really need to print this email?

For up to date information on forthcoming workshops and free visits
please see the online ARLIS/UK & Ireland Events Calendar 2013 at
http://arlis.org.uk/