Weighing up whether to attend the ARA Annual Conference at Wembley
from 31 August to 2 September? You’ve no doubt seen some of the
innovations this year, such as a fully-dedicated digital archives and
preservation stream, plus the expanded information village, where we
will be joined by representatives from sectoral bodies; all designed
to fit the ‘Global Futures’ theme, as we face ever-increasing
pressures to adapt to new financial and market realities. The
Conference committee and its partners have again worked overtime to
keep delegate costs as low as possible. Pound for pound (or Euro for
Euro), the ARA Conference offers better value than all other
comparable bodies in the sector. And we will again be subsidising the
headline costs in 2016 through our conference sponsorship programmes.

This year, the Conference organising committee has also shifted the
focus of its keynote speaker slots. In 2016 we have invited leaders in
the front-line – or at the frontier - of tackling major challenges
facing our sector, people whose experience and drive will inspire you
and offer practical answers to problems that you may also be grappling
with. These will be frank and - very likely - provocative talks. Don’t
come expecting a string of feel-good clichés or platitudes.

Our keynote speaker on the opening day - 31 August - is Colin Prescod.
Having worked in archives and heritage for around fifteen years, Colin
is currently Chair of the Institute of Race Relations in the UK
(www.irr.org.uk/about/management/). He has been involved for a long
time with the Huntley Archives project at London Metropolitan Archives
(one of LMA’s most significant collections from the African-Caribbean
community). Colin will explore 'the global in the local', how the most
local or smallest archive have disproportionate emotional impact and
power in minority or displaced communities. He will take you out of
your comfort zone and expose you to different ways of thinking about
your collections and deposits, along with how you manage diversity and
minority outreach.

On 1 September, our main speaker is Tina Staples. Tina is Global Head
of Archives at banking giant HSBC Plc
(www.hsbc.com/about-hsbc/company-history) and at the forefront of
issues affecting archivists and records managers across the corporate
sector, most notably data and digital preservation. She will discuss
an issue that cuts across the public, private and voluntary sectors:
‘Big Data in a Connected World: Friend or Foe?’ Now fifty years into
the so-called Computer Age, we face unprecedented data volumes. We
have created more data since 2014 than in all human history up to
then. One trillion photographs alone were captured in 2015, with
billions shared online. By 2020, 1.7 megabytes of new information will
be created every second, for every person alive. Tina will explore if
we – as a profession - are even close to keeping pace and our future
role now that every global citizen is preserving a mind-boggling range
of born-digital records, and disseminating data and assets to
ever-growing global audiences. In her view, professional
record-keepers are key to meeting the challenge, but we need to
persuade senior managers of this and take the lead in shaping a new
kind of records and archiving culture.

On 2 September, Anthea Case, CBE delivers our final keynote. Since
2005, Anthea has been Principal Adviser to the Arcadia Fund, a
UK-based grant-making foundation, which supports endangered nature and
culture (www.arcadiafund.org.uk). Anthea currently chairs Arcadia’s
International Panel, which advises its Endangered Archive Programme
(run by the British Library). From 1995 to 2003, Anthea was CEO of the
UK’s Heritage Lottery Fund and National Heritage Memorial Fund and,
until 2010, Chair of the Heritage Alliance. She currently serves on
the boards of a number of arts and heritage organisations. As well as
updating us on the latest global view on grant-giving, Anthea will
focus on front-line challenges facing the preservation and
conservation community, notably the future of endangered cultural
knowledge in non-western countries. As many members think about (or
re-evaluate) their organisations’ strategy for engaging with funding
bodies, this is an opportunity to hear (and learn) from one of the
leading thinkers and practitioners.

Don’t delay, sign up now at:
http://www.archives.org.uk/ara-in-action/the-ara-conference.html